Very briefly, a clock service would be as follows:
- The clock movement will be completely dismantled and cleaned
- The extent of wear to parts will be assessed and all worn pivot holes rebushed or closed and burnished, pivots will be filed and burnished parallel and pallet nibs polished.
- All other parts of the movement will be repaired as necessary. If these are beyond repair, replacement parts will be obtained or made. (This on some occasions may involve a revision of estimate).
- The movement will then be reassembled, checking, adjusting and relubricating each part as necessary.
- The movement will then be replaced into the clock case and tested for time keeping, striking and chiming accuracy. The test period is usually approximately ten days but depending on the extent of adjustment can occasionally take several weeks.